How will this help me?
This approach to studies has a number of benefits:
- It allows you to have some choice over your own self study tasks throughout Years 7-9.
- It ensures that you begin to practise a range of revision strategies throughout Years 7-9 so that you are more prepared when you complete your GCSE courses and know which strategies work for you.
- It will help improve knowledge of the various subject areas through using your knowledge organiser.
How will the academy support me to complete my self study?
- Self study may be completed at one of our lunchtime clubs
- Your teachers can provide you with flash cards, paper and highlighters if you require these.
- We will ensure that you have access to a laptop and internet if you need these. Please speak to your form tutor to request this.
Years 10 and 11
Years 10 and 11 students follow their chosen options and, as such, the amount of self study expected will increase. There will be occasions during the year where workload appears greater, particularly near examination periods. Students will be expected to complete self study for all subjects. Most self study tasks should take approximately 30 minutes per subject. Closer to exams all students will be set revision tasks to complete.
All students in all year groups have been provided with knowledge organisers. These will be used to support your self study. Students may be asked to learn a particular section or they may be set questions on information provided in the organiser. It is expected that students will learn all of the content on each subject’s knowledge organiser each term and they will be tested on this understanding in lessons.
Sixth Form – Years 12 and 13
In the Sixth Form students study 3 or 4 subjects. Level 3 courses are very challenging and require a much greater degree of independent learning/study from students. Self study and/or assignments will be set throughout the academic year. Students should be completing work, outside of lesson time, for between 3 – 5 hours per subject each week. They should also be consolidating their knowledge and revisiting units previously covered even when not directed by teachers.